What is HandsOn At Home?
In an effort to provide meaningful ways for people to support our community in the wake of COVID-19 concerns, HandsOn Miami and our partners at HandsOn Broward have joined together to develop HandsOn at Home, a digital toolbox filled with ways to share and promote kindness.
As we type, our team is working on creating volunteer projects that can be completed in the comfort of your home while practicing the CDC’s social distancing guidelines. The projects are being developed to support vulnerable residents and nonprofits in need in our community. As new opportunities are created, we will list them here with instructions for completing.
To make a donation to support HandsOn Miami build more digital and at-home volunteering opportunities during this unprecedented time, please CLICK HERE.
HandsOn at Home Guidelines
- Choose the project(s) that interests you, use the Express Interest button to receive the instructions. New projects will be added as they are developed.
- Gather or purchase the necessary supplies. Many supplies that you do not already have can be purchased online. Suggested websites will be provided in the instructions.
- Follow the instructions carefully to complete the project from the comfort of your own home.
- Document your project with photos and videos. Please note: If you wish to officially log your hours for school or a formal volunteering program, you will be required to send your photos or video proof to HandsOn Miami to receive credit.
- Share your project. Post on your social media; tag @HandsOnMiami and using the hashtag #ActsOfService
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Volunteering
HandsOn Miami’s DIY Volunteering provides a meaningful way to engage volunteers in a non-traditional way. For these projects, you'll provide the supplies (all are designed to be low-to-no-cost and can be purchased digitally from Amazon.com) and we'll give you the instructions for completing it, along with information on the benefiting agency.
The Literacy League's Storytime Heroes
The Literacy League’s Storytime Heroes opportunity engages volunteers who are passionate about Early Childhood Education as virtual guest readers. As students are out of school and parents are doing their best to keep the students engaged at home, this is a unique opportunity to do some social distancing literacy volunteerism.
All you need to do is record a video of you reading a children’s book and post it on Facebook or Instagram. Make sure to tag @handsonmiami and use the hashtag #actsofservice in your post so we can see them.
Volunteers in need of service hours will earn 1 hour per book read, for a maximum of 5 hours. If you are bilingual and can read a story in another language, we encourage you to do so!
We are not currently accepting Storytime Heroes submissions, please check back at a later date.